Monday 4 November 2013

I'm going to the BAFTAs! (almost...)

Me: What you up to at the weekend?
You: Nothing much. How about you?
Me: Same, not much. Except I'm going to an AWARDS CEREMONY at an AWESOME CONFERENCE!!
You: Ok.

Yes. It's true. On Saturday Mel, a friend and I will be dressing up all fancy (Mel got a new dress, and she looks stunning in it!) and going to an evening of awards as part of the Christian New Media conference in London. If you don't know Christian New Media, they're a great organisation and you should check them out.


Why I'm going.

I've not been talking about this too much, but the reason I'm going is that I'm on the shortlist for one of the awards. Or rather, the blog you're currently reading is. My very own 'Limping into Truth' is up for the 'Best Young Blogger' category. I'm really very honoured and thrilled about this.

I've not blogged about it yet because I've not wanted to be all 'self-promotion-y' about it. But, truth is I was blown away to find I'd been nominated (thanks again, by the way, if you're reading!) and even more blown away to find I'd been shortlisted. And when I look at the quality of the other bloggers in my category, I'm knocked off my feet. I want to point you to them now, because they're great! They are:

  • samhailes.com – I love Sam's take on things. He's made me think and laugh in roughly equal measures, reflecting on everything from Halloween to deodorant...
  • 'Stuck on the Rooftops' – Mike is an English Lit student, and he writes just as well as one of them (is it 'those', Mike?) should! I love his honesty and reflections on life as it happens.
  • 'Neill Before the Lord' – This is Hannah Neill's blog. First off, I love a blog site with a pun in the name. I just do. But I also love Hannah's openness in sharing her spiritual life online.
  • 'Live Laugh and Love God' – Claire's blog is not just thought-provoking and encouraging – it's so impressive that she blogs every day. Simple but meaningful daily reflections – love it.

I honestly recommend all of them. (The shortlist for all categories is here)

Why I'm excited.

Anyway, back to the awards as a whole. Why am I excited to go?

I'm excited because we don't get to do this kind of thing very often. Getting dressed up, having fancy food – it's all a bit of a novelty for us!

I'm excited because I love my blog and I love that others love it too. I have loved doing this since January, and I'm really psyched I'm not the only one.

I'm excited to hopefully meet the four people who've produced the four great blogs linked to above.

I'm excited about spending the evening with my gorgeous wife and great friend.

But most of all, I'm excited because I think social media and the internet matter. So much of the world's way of working is online now. Business, education, and – yes – social life. I think social media can get a pretty bad rep, but it is a phenomenal tool which can be harnessed for amazing good and for the growth of the Kingdom of God. I'm excited to spend an evening with people doing just that.

I'm excited!!!


If you liked this post, please share using the buttons below. Also, you can subscribe by clicking here to get all future posts by email. Thanks for reading!

4 comments :

  1. Congratulations, David, and hope you all have a great evening

    ReplyDelete
  2. There should be a 'Fastest regular respondent to a blog' category. You'd ace it Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah thanks! I look forward to meeting you on Saturday! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome Hannah – see you at the party!

    ReplyDelete

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...